We understand that one of the downsides of a truly cross-functional ToT business is that people with the same skills (traditional departments) spend less time together, so let us introduce the concept of Tribes.
A tribe is a group of team members who a share a common role or skill. These specialist interest groups support shared knowledge, help each other solve problems and facilitate best practices.
Tribes are great places to get help unlocking blockers which may impact your work.
Table of Contents
What do healthy tribes look like?
Tribes come in all different shapes and sizes but it’s easy to spot the health of a tribe. Healthy tribes exhibit the following:
Healthy tribes should attend conferences, local meetups and socialise together.
- Regularly attend conferences or local meetups together
- Tribe wide training and new learning is happening
- Support each other when a tribe member is struggling
- An active Slack channel with everyone participating and sharing
- The skills of the tribe members increase as they support each others
- Learnings are shared and common knowledge is exchanged
- The tribe socialise together, go for tribe lunches or nights out
- A common toolkit is adopted and evolves over time
With so many teams all innovating, experimenting and evolving, it’s really important that this knowledge is shared, meaning all the startups in our ecosystem can improve and learn from one another. It is the tribes who help share learnings from teams across the ecosystem.
What is expected from each tribe member?
Each tribe member can improve or degrade the health of a tribe, we ask all tribe members to:
- Be a full participant in the tribe, or leave
- Encourage social gatherings outside of the office or workspace
- Be fully committed and engaged in the tribe
- If somebody asks for help, do whatever you can to support them
- Challenge tribe members to learn new skills
The role of a tribe lead
Tribes self select their leader and it’s a great honour to lead a tribe. Tribe leaders are responsible for:
- Ensure the tribe is healthy (see above).
- Ensure all tribe members are actively participating and supporting the tribe
- Facilitate the approval/organisation of conferences and training for tribe members